Sunday, March 1, 2009

Prayer Flags

Phyllis is in the very back of the photo with her back to the camera. She is at one of her favorite places - cooking, stirring, overseeing, mesmerizing that the soup pot!
Shirely Yeager and Phyllis souping it up
Knitting pals eating Indian frare lunch in Joshua Tree

Connected by a Yarn, a Book, and Winds of a Tibetan Prayer Flag

Serendipitous is the best way to describe my friendship with Phyllis. My husband and I were scoping out the view from our newly acquired home, and noticed what looked like Tibetan prayer flags waving in the wind of a back yard of a neighbor’s home. We were delighted and intrigued at the prospects of meeting these neighbors. Were they from Tibet or India? Were they Buddhist? Just what is their story? A few months later, we were fortunate to meet Ray and Shirley Yeager at a community barbecue. Trying not to be too presumptuous about seeing prayer flags hanging in their backyard, I asked Shirley about the material hanging in her backyard. Shirley tells me they are prayer flags brought back from India by a friend who does Vipassana. A friend who does Vipassana! Wow! Who are these friends? I told her I had read every book I could find on Vipassana meditation and was interested in hearing more.

Not too long after this, Shirley and I started walking together, and she shared more about Phyllis and Richard Schwartz, and their practice of meditation. At that time, I had also been reading a series of novels by Debbie Macomber about women involved in a knitting group. This set me up for a further conversation with Shirley, who tells me of her knitting group who meet locally at the home of teacher and friend, Pegge Weber. A knitting group! Wow! And, this is where I finally meet Phyllis for the very first time.

From this point, I have been thankful to become acquainted with Phyllis through emails, phone calls, visits, book club, yoga, and meditation. She has been most patient in listening to me in my search for wholeness; she has been most generous in sharing insight learned through her experiences; and she has been very generous in lending books, magazines, and sharing internet sites. She is a gracious example of love to Mike and me, by inviting us to meet with her and Richard to discuss at length “life”, politics, and spiritualities. She was a most helpful support in completing my first 10-day Vipassana meditation course, and in continuing the practice.

Best wishes to you, dear Phyllis, in this your 70th new year! You continue to be an inspiration to me on this journey. I am so thankful that our paths have crossed. I am thankful for a Yarn, a Book, and the Winds of Tibetan prayer flags!

Metta,
Mike and Karen Sanford

No comments:

Post a Comment